What is a Delaware County Democratic Party Central Committee member?
Each precinct in Delaware County elects a member to the county Democratic Central Committee. Elections are held during even year primaries, and registration deadline is 90 days before the primary. Any vacancies in the Central Committee can be filled by being appointed as member of the Central Committee for your precinct and being confirmed by majority vote of the Executive Committee. You need to attend at least three monthly Executive/Central Committee meetings to become eligible for appointment.
What does a Central Committee member do?
Central Committee members represent the people in their precinct and serve as a communication link between the county party, elected officials, and the citizens of the precinct. Their mission is to support the county party priorities:
- Energize local Democrats
- Get Democrats Elected
- Challenge the Single-Party rule in Delaware County
The following is an overview of opportunities for Central Committee members to effectively work within their precincts. No one does all of these things, but we all contribute to the cause as well as we can. It’s one big party where you can get to know your neighbors in a relaxed and meaningful way.
Be an Active Central Committee Member
- Attend Central Committee meetings regularly (third Thursday of every month) and support fellow committee members
- Join a committee
- Inform people in your precinct of voting responsibilities
- Talk positively about our local party and candidates for local offices
Support Democratic Candidates and Campaigns
- Vote in every election and encourage others to do the same
- Circulate petitions in your precinct for Democratic candidates and progressive issues
- Walk your precinct with a friend or with candidates to distribute campaign materials
- Host a house party/coffee reception for a candidate
Participate in Local Democratic Party Activities
- Volunteer to help with special events and activities
- Take part in Democratic workshops and conferences that interest you
- Attend fundraisers sponsored by the Democratic party
- Contribute financially when you can, and encourage others to do so
- Wear buttons, bumper stickers, and Democratic t-shirts that express pride in being progressive
Interact with your Neighborhood
- Connect with your precinct constituents and be a recognized resource for voting and candidate information
- Host “Blue Block” gatherings to network with fellow Democrats
- Organize a Facebook group for your precinct
- Use your personal network to identify and promote future candidates or new political contributors
- Encourage others to join our local party
Download our Central Committee Guide here.
If you need assistance reaching the registered voters or Democrats in your precinct, contact the party chair, Peg Watkins.
The map below shows the precincts in Delaware County. Click the image to view the Delaware County precinct book where you can locate boundary maps of individual precincts.